Monday, April 2, 2012

St. Patty's Day Wreath

I can't believe how time flies? I have several projects I need to get on here so for the next couple of days I'm going to be busy. For St. Patty's Day I made a wreath. I am going to try to do a tutorial on how it was done. Well here it goes:
Finish Wreath
First I used 2 1/2 yards of a silky polyester with shamrocks on it that I got at Joanne Fabrics. I marked every inch, selvage to selvage and then tore the strips to make a fraide edge. Then I cut the strips into 6 inch pieces. I tied them to a metal wreath that I bought at Joanne's. (They have smaller ones, in case you don't want to spend hours tying the ties.
This is the fabric I used

This is what it looks like with all the ties tied.
Then I had my daughter Andrea, design in the Bernina software a shamrock. We sewed it in the hoop. We used green Heather Bailey felt.  And then slit a hole in the back and stuffed it lightly. Then I hand sewed it shut. (You could make the shamrock by hand, but we like using our 830 Bernina!)
Then I cut 2 inch strips with the pinking shears to make the bow. I sewed it together like I would strips for border/binding a quilt.
I cut a 1 x 8 inch strip with the pinking shears and then I sewed it to the shamrock.  I tied this to the bottom of the wired wreath.

Then I took the long ribbon and wrapped it through the wired wreath and tied it to make a bow.
Here again, is the finish product!

1 comment: